Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Give me 12 hours.

Today was procedure day and although the results coming out of it were not what we were hoping for, I breezed through it like a champ. It's never easy being put under, especially for someone like me with my crazy racing heart, but it went well. Once I was awake and fully aware, the doctor came out and told us that the preliminary results of the biopsy showed that the cancer had spread to the lymph nodes on the left side of my lungs too. blah. Like I said, not what we were hoping for but not the end of the world either. I'll admit, it did feel like I got kicked in the stomach for a minute or two. The doctor's advice was to give it 12 hours. Feel sad, get mad, cry, scream, whatever....but only for 12 hours then get back in the ring and continue the fight.
Tomorrow we meet the medical oncologist to, hopefully, lay out the plan. Fingers crossed! Down the road we will talk about looking into the mutated gene that possible caused this. Apparently I must have crossed paths with a radioactive spider at some point in my life! Who knows, this mutated gene might also turn me into spiderman later in life! Oh excuse me, spiderwoman :) But seriously, that's what the doctors are looking into because when a cancer like this shows in a young, non smoker, a gene mutation is usually responsible. As it was explained to me, everyone can have cells with mutated genes but usually the immune system eradicates those cells. In my case, a cancer grew. I was assured that it was nothing I did or that was inherited, it was completely random. Lucky me! The good news is that there has been a lot of research and medical advancement in this area of gene mutations and not to mention, success! This will be something we explore further down the road but it's good to know that I'm not a freak of nature!
Although the day started off shaky, it ended with lots of laughs thanks to my friends and family who always know the right thing to say. Special thanks to a few of my dream team Jenni, Anna and Erica! Love you guys!
Huh, turns out I didn't need 12 hours after all! Game on!

Hurdles:
-those damn lymph nodes!

Jewels:
-irreplaceable friends and family
-french fries.....YES I fell off the wagon, sue me! :)
-most importantly, the huge out pour of support I was surprised with from family and friends, old and new, I love each and every one of you and can't even begin to thank you for your donations, kind words, and love. It has brought me to tears more than once today in such a good way. My heart is full! Thank you!

Sorry I didn't have any pics today. I'll try to make up for it tomorrow! But just to let you know...I look the same as I did yesterday :)

3 comments:

  1. I'm sure u look as pretty as u always are:) u my dear inspire me. U are a strong soul and spiderman as u said lol . Hope today 3.5.14 is a good one!! Till next time and and Ollie say hi to her favorite teacher:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spiderwoman.lol and excuse any grammars error it's 9:03 and my head is not not my dad is about to have surgery in an hour ; ( tata

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there Mary.....Just spoke with Linda Hawkins and she told me the news !! Gonna say how extremely sad it was to hear but after that I'm saying Kick some ASS !!!! You are gonna get this !! :) Love reading your blog.....Know that I will be praying for you and your family ! Sending hugs and love !!! Nurse Cindy

    ReplyDelete