Friday, March 7, 2014

Just call me a Houstonian

Sorry for the lapse in posts! Walking the Galleria mall really wiped me out yesterday! If you haven't see n that mall......it's huge! I fell into bed when we got back!
Yesterday wasn't all fun and games though. We met with the medical oncologist and received the first piece of our puzzle of treatment. Let's call him Dr. Mario (fans of super mario bros. have a clear pic painted in their minds) Dr. Mario laid out the course of treatment......6 weeks of daily radiation and once weekly chemo concurrently. Sounds doable, right?! I agree. I can do anything for 6 weeks. Now the question was, where would this be carried out? Dr. Mario said, " My-a part  could-a be done-a anywhere, here or a- Florida." (I may or may not have improvised on his accent....you'll never know!) Score! 1down, one to go! Next it was on to radiation.
We spent all morning putting together our argument for why treatment in west palm would be the best for me. We were ready to fight! Well it took all of 5 seconds for doctor wonderful to convince us that staying in Houston for treatment was the best option. So here I will be for the next 6-8 weeks. Ideal? No, but necessary. Brandt and I are working on how to make it possible for him and the kids to be out here as much as possible. I know it will work out!
So you're probably wondering, "What was Dr. Wonderful's compelling argument that made you roll over?" Well it had a few parts. 1. Dr. Wonderful would not be able to oversee my care from 1000 miles away. He could order his recommendation for treatment, but WPB doc could alter it as he saw fit. Not ok, we came all the way to MD Anderson because we trust their judgement and expertise. Not to have them order what they think is best and then someone else change it. 2. Having a care team under 1 roof, checking in on you daily or weekly: priceless. And when I say care team, I mean team. Doctors, nurses, residents, dietitians, support, ect.They all know you and make themselves available. 3. Also known as the one that sealed the deal. The technology matched with the thoroughness at MD Anderson is not available at home. I'll try not to get too technical on you guys but I have become a bit of an expert.....lol! Sike! Ok so.....there are 2 types of radiation out there. 1 standard, available everywhere, and 1 that is only available at a handful of places in the US. The type they will use for me is unknown right now, but what MD Anderson does is make a plan for both types (a very precise plan that involves scans and stuff like that) then they compare and contrast them to find which would be the most effective and safest for my specific needs. If I were to go home for treatment, there would be no comparing and contrasting of plans, there would just be 1 plan and that would be that! I like knowing that being here I won't be limited by available technology, at home I might be.
So that is that. Houston it is. The plan is to go home for a week and be back here to begin treatment the 17th.Who's coming to visit? :)

Hurdles:
-being away from home and family for 6-8 weeks

Jewels:
-a plan! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!
-skyp chat with my wonderful fam
-again, the amazement I felt at the overwhelming support I continue to receive from everyone out there. It is beyond humbling.

1 comment:

  1. This is awesome Mary! When my dad had pancreatic C word, he had options and choices to make. Him and I thought it be best to stay home. We may of made a bad choice. I wish we would have made the journey now.
    Now with mom just kicking the cap outta C word, and colon C word, we didn't have options. She moved in with me and I took care of her for a little over a year. Doctors, appts ect. All worth it for her to see her grandchild. Now working 55 hours a week! That I drive her to and from every, it was and still is worth every single second.
    That being said I know you can the crap outta this hurdle in life. Your a Casella for goodness sake! :)
    I read your blog every day you post something and have to say, it made me cry. Not a sad cry but a cry knowing your gonna do everything possible to win this battle. I know what it takes and things that have to be done from experience. Trust me it wasn't easy for me and I wasn't the one being treated.
    I love and admire the the high as the sky spirits and mind set!!! It's exactly what you have to have! Keep it up kiddo. Kick this thing in the @$$ and get well soon. I will make sure my house keeps you and the family ( my second one ) in our prayers. If you or Brant should need something or just an ear to listen or ask questions, I am here 24/7 571-909-5976
    Talk soon champ. ♡ you

    ReplyDelete