Saturday, February 22, 2014

Day 5: Operation Green Fridge....check!

Well we have successfully cleaned out Whole Foods, or what we like to call it Whole Paycheck! The fridge is stocked with every vegetable and sprout imaginable and the juicer has been properly broken in as of this afternoon. The plan is choke out this cancer with good nutrition. That is easier said than done though. Prior to this I did consider myself an ok eater. I ate my vegetables, whole grains, and fruits. I tried to be balanced in my meal planning and believed in moderation. I can take or leave meat and sweets (but I usually take them, peer pressure is hell!). I banned McDonalds and those years ago! Fine! Maybe there were 1 or 2 "late night" ,and later regretted, Taco Bell stops over the past couple of years (remember, there's only 1 reason to stop at Taco Bell past midnight, I don't have to say it!) Where do the changes come in then? That leaves me to look at my vices: cheese and starches! Noooooooooooooooo! Everything tastes better between 2 slices of bread and smothered in cheese! Which is where the tough part comes in. This isn't a change that will happen over night but I am working very hard to move in the right direction. So if you see me sprinkling cheese on my salad or on top of bowl of beans, don't judge!!!! The goal is to try to spread these situations farther and farther apart. In the mean time, I will be juicing anything and everything that isn't nailed down and amping up the fresh veggies with every meal. I'm on my way! Who's coming with me?

Dose of reality: Wheat Grass shots, great in theory! But they are an acquired taste to say the least! Today I took my first one and even though my stomach almost rejected it, I'll be doing it again tomorrow. I hear it gets easier, but wow! It tasted like fresh mowed grass straight from the lawn mower! Stay tuned to find out if it really does get easier!

Today's Hurdles:
-These diet changes are a bit overwhelming

Today's Jewels:
-I have a stocked fridge with everything I need to begin this journey (thanks aunt deb, my health guru!)
-I had a full day of this new, healthier menu.....and survived!
Part of the Load
-I kept the wheat grass down....despite my stomach's protests!

Jewels rule!
Kale, Spinach, Celery, cucumber & Lemon Juice...I'll get used to it :)



3 comments:

  1. One apple helps a ton with the taste. Your selection looks amazing. I'm coming over :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first time I had a wheat grass shot I was at the outdoor market with my mom. It was a lovely day and I had a run planned after the market. After getting the sales pitch from the vendor I thought... why not? It was like eating sweet grass. My big mistake was that I had a completely empty stomach. Needless to say, I had to cancel my run and rushed my mom into the car so that I could be in the comfort of my own home---more importantly, my own bathroom. The wheat grass did me in for the day. I can't even think about taking a wheat grass shot without my mouth doing that pre throw-up salivating thing... However, green juices are great! Kale, romaine, cucumber, celery, green apple, lemon and ginger is my normal go to juice. :) Goodluck! Post some juices you have made so we can all try them out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. I always wanted to try this with the leftover pulp from the juices. The waste from the juices always makes me so sad :(
    http://www.meghantelpner.com/blog/juice-pulp-pate-its-not-gross/

    ReplyDelete